Roof Shingle Experts
Canadian Western Red Cedar Shakes & Shingles
Roof singles can add a point of difference to any home, whether using this material on your roof or as wall cladding. The beauty and significant difference by using this product is that it will have all the neighbours pondering their next roof or wall exterior; as it looks stunning!
There are plenty of reasons why you should consider using this product, it is not as popular here in Australia as other parts of the world but here are some points to help you decide if Cedar is meant for you and your home.
- Cedar roofing material has high R- values (thermal resistance) this means cooler in summer and warmer in winter. This conserves energy and reduces the imprint left on the environment.
- Structural strength? Cedar is the leader, cedar weighs less than most of the other roofing materials out there (75%). By choosing wood for your roof you are adding structural strength, rather than adding weight. Cedar also preforms well in strong gusty winds, hurricanes and hail storm’s due to its wood fibres and natural resilience.
- Cedar is also a renewable resource, wood regenerates naturally, which is more than what other materials can claim.
- The Cedar shake and shingle industry also tries to maximize all the wood which is brought into the timber mills, cedar shakes and shingles are made from salvaged wood fibre which is left over wood from logging, they also salvage wood from the forest floor.
- Western Red Cedar has known to be called the worlds most sustainable resource and also one of the worlds most researched woods. Western Red Cedar does produce fewer greenhouse gases, also generates less water, air pollution and requires less energy to produce.
- The longevity of a Western Red Cedar roof will last approximately 30 years and longer if you have your shakes or shingles treated, they do weather quite quickly and turn a silver grey. We recommend having them treated, but it’s a personal choice.
- The aroma also from using cedar shakes or shingles is stunning, a rich woody, earthy smell of a cedar forest.
Roof Shingles and Shakes, Supply and Install
Here at Domain Roofing Pty Ltd we only use the finest Western Red Cedar from Canada, all shakes are hand split and resawn using Grade 1 standard. Western Red Cedar has many uses as well as roofing, wall cladding which can be painted any colour of your choice. It’s all about creativity and adding your own sense of style to your home to make it pop.
We are always happy to talk to people about roof shingles, and we highly recommend Western Red Cedar. For further information please check out our blog
It is not everyone’s first choice but definitely worth a look!
Get in touch with us here at Domain Roofing Pty Ltd to supply or install your next Western Red Cedar Roof or cladding for exterior walls.